Pyodbc installation error

Hi,
I am trying to connect to Oracle using pyodbc from hopsworks demo version. Installation of pyodbc is failing.

Could you please confirm if pyodbc is supported in hopsworks and also help me to resolve this issue?
Thanks!

Hi,

I was able to reproduce the issue. pyodbc requires some header files which we don’t have in the base docker image that contains the Python environment.

I will open a ticket for this on our side so it can be supported in one of the next releases.
In the meantime we can’t support pyodbc unfortunately, as it looks. I will talk to the team if it’s possible to patch the Demo cluster.

@Sangeetha We have now installed the requirements for the pyodbc library to be installed correctly on the latest development version of Hopsworks. Do you still want to use the library on the demo cluster? In that case we would need apply some additional updates.

Best regards,
Robin

@Robin_Andersson yes I will need pyodbc lib on demo cluster. We are working on a poc to build feature store to connect to external databases such as oracle and also hadoop clusters. I would really appreciate your help in this.

Thanks in advance,
Sangeetha

Okay! I will check with the team managing the demo cluster. Will get back to you.

Best regards,
Robin

Hi @Sangeetha I have the go ahead to do the update. But first I need you to install an arbitrary library of your choosing, such as for example imageio in your environment. In doing so you will in the backend create a docker image tag unique for your project, which will make it possible for me to only perform this update (installing some odbc headers) for your current project without affecting other users using the demo cluster. Can you let me know once you’ve installed a library?

Once we release 2.5.0 it will be possible to install pyodbc by default in all projects.

Best regards,
Robin

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your update. I have installed imageio in my environment. Kindly enable pyobdc lib for project demo_fs_sangitha and confirm.

Thanks and Regards,
Sangeetha

Hi @Sangeetha! I have now made it possible to install pyodbc in your project. However, please do not remove your environment as then the update needs to be reapplied.

Best regards,
Robin

Hi @Robin_Andersson ,
Thanks for your help. I am able to install pyodbc whereas still having challenge in establising connection to local Oracle database.

With local phyton installation, I am able to establish connection to local Oracle database whereas through Hopsworks jupyter notebook I am getting below error. Could you please help with this. are there any additional lib required ?

Error:
Error: (‘01000’, “[01000] [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can’t open lib ‘Oracle in OraDB19Home2’ : file not found (0) (SQLDriverConnect)”)

Thanks and Regards,
Sangeetha B