Hopsworks install fails on confluent-kafka install on mac

I’m installing hopworks, I’m on MacOS 12.6.3 and I’m trying to use hopworks in a jupyter notebook in vscode. I’m working off this tutorial GitHub - jimdowling/air_quality: Air Quality Predictions for Cities using Weather and I’ve tried both a virtual environment via venv and conda with python 3.9, but I get the same issue in both cases. Hopworks fails like so

!pip install hopsworks==3.2.0rc0

/private/var/folders/hd/csbqkrzd3s95b5c5hfv4cp8c0000gn/T/pip-install-8ng8gvy4/confluent-kafka_0ec7307ff912464e86d151b66ff81713/src/confluent_kafka/src/confluent_kafka.h:23:10: fatal error: 'librdkafka/rdkafka.h' file not found
  #include <librdkafka/rdkafka.h>
           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  1 error generated.
  error: command '/usr/bin/clang' failed with exit code 1
  [end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
ERROR: Failed building wheel for confluent-kafka
Running setup.py clean for confluent-kafka
Failed to build confluent-kafka

I was hoping that the suggestions here might fix it confluent_kafka/src/confluent_kafka.h:21:10: fatal error: 'librdkafka/rdkafka.h' file not found · Issue #184 · confluentinc/confluent-kafka-python · GitHub but no joy …

Hi @tansaku,

If you are on Mac you need to install librdkafka. We have some Mac specific instructions here for how to do it: Client Installation Guide - Hopsworks Documentation

Regards,