Error executing Enable and start services -- on AWS

Hey,
I managed to start a hopsworks service on AWS (with limited access using a VPC) and encountered the above message. any help would be appreciated.
attached is the log file from the installation process on the started EC2:

thanks,
Dan

We need some additional information to troubleshoot this. Did you add your SSH key when creating the instance? If so then change the security group of the instance to expose port 22 and ssh into the machine using the user ubuntu. If you didn’t add your SSH key then you will unfortunately need to recreate the instance and select your SSH key during the configuration.

The logs for the startup process are stored in /root/ec2init/ . Please share these with us.

Hey,
thanks for replying. The instance was created with keys and SG has port 22 exposed. attached is a link to a gdrive with the dir you requested.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PtFichitzkZMda2VfrJWwtY_2Kln89BI?usp=sharing

help much appreciated,
Dan

Hi!

It looks like the private hostname of the instance cannot be resolved.
In the logs there is [dns/get_ip_from_name] Could not resolve domain name ip-10-0-12-70.eu-west-1.compute.internal

Can you verify that this is indeed your private hostname? Can you ping this domain name from the instance?

Also, can you delete everything but the ec2init.log from the shared folder ? :wink:

thanks for heads up about the logs [deleted].
I have no ping from my machine to this hostname. However I just turned on the “DNS Hostnames” option on the VPC (so now the instance has a dns unlike before). DNS resolution was already turned on. is that related to the issue? could you perhaps elaborate more of what exactly is the problem here?

much appreciated,
Dan

[update]:
I can now ping
ubuntu@ip-10-0-12-70:~$ ping ip-10-0-12-70.eu-west-1.compute.internal.
PING ip-10-0-12-70.eu-west-1.compute.internal (10.0.12.70) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ip-10-0-12-70.eu-west-1.compute.internal (10.0.12.70): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.009 ms
64 bytes from ip-10-0-12-70.eu-west-1.compute.internal (10.0.12.70): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.020 ms
64 bytes from ip-10-0-12-70.eu-west-1.compute.internal (10.0.12.70): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.020 ms

previously I have missed the dot at the end.
How should I proceed from here?

thanks,
Dan

When launching the instance we’ve got our own process of configuring and starting all the services. Before starting the services we make sure the private hostname can be resolved as this is required for the services to communicate with each other.

The process tried several times and then it gave up as it couldn’t resolve the hostname. You can see the logs near the end. Make sure the DNS resolution is enabled for your VPC and try again.

thanks, so now that I can ping as shown above, should I jsut try to reboot the instance ?

No, this won’t work. Terminate the current attempt from hopsworks.ai and create a new instance.

will do and revert here with the results (should this benefit others in the future)

Hey,
now it seems to advance a step forward. However, the provided link did not work because the SG inbound rules did not have HTTPS allowed. Perhaps you should add this to the documentation?

I am now able to access the console.

thanks,
Dan

Glad to hear you made it work and thanks for the feedback. We will update the documentation.