Some "cookbook-dependency" problems of Hopsworks community edition 2.2

I encountered the following problems when I was trying to install the Hopsworks community edition 2.2.

ERROR [2021-04-21 02:55:24,538] se.kth.karamel.webservice.KaramelServiceApplication: Inalid yaml file; Cookbook-dependency ‘ndb’ doesn’t refer to a valid url in Berksfile

ERROR [2021-04-21 02:18:35,741] se.kth.karamel.webservice.KaramelServiceApplication: Inalid yaml file; Cookbook-dependency ‘flink’ doesn’t refer to a valid url in Berksfile

ERROR [2021-04-21 03:14:47,593] se.kth.karamel.webservice.KaramelServiceApplication: Inalid yaml file; Cookbook-dependency ‘hops_airflow’ doesn’t refer to a valid url in Berksfile

When I tried to reinstall, it seemed that the problem was different every time. Is it because the network is unstable?
Has anyone ever had this problem? Any comments will be much appreciated.

in my experience, a lot depends on dns and network. I had to fiddle around with ubuntu, disabling an removing systemd-resolved, install dnsmasq and fixing resolv.conf, dnsmasq.conf to let karamel (ruby,…and later consul) do its work. But i took the on-prem local install on one machine.

Hi @Guy_Cernoel ,
Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you. I ran into the similar problems when I installed the Hopsworks 2.0. Because I live in China, for some inexplicable reason the domain name (raw.githubusercontent.com) cannot be accessed correctly. My way was to write the domain name and its IP address into the /etc/hosts file and it worked well at that time. I did the same things this time, but I don’t know why there still are the similar problems.

i used the installer “https://repo.hops.works/installer/latest/hopsworks-installer.sh)” … (github) … downloaded it, changed the branch from 2.1 to 2.2 …and used the arguments “-i local -c on-premise -ni -pwd [yourpass]” … it went through fine, karamel then showed up some stuff i had to fix on demand … one big issue was local dns (.consul) … the installer writes stuff to dnsmasq.conf and resolv.conf … so sometimes i got some hiccups when it wanted to download stuff from rubygems.org or somewhere else … about the githubusercontent.com stuff… i cant tell :confused:

Hi @cernoel ,
Thank you for your reply.

I referred to this topic : Hopsworks Installer — Documentation 2.2 documentation, and I executed the following command to get the installation script.

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/logicalclocks/karamel-chef/2.2/hopsworks-installer.sh

Do you mean there is something wrong with the link above? I guess that this link should have been tested… Anyway, I’ll try your approach.

i dont know if its wrong or right… sorry, i forgot to say, i am no pro, this was my first setup of hopsworks, and i had many tries till i succeeded,… but this was the way it worked out… but as far is i could see, it should be the same.

Hi @cernoel ,
I’ve tried your approach, but the same problem is still there.

ERROR [2021-04-22 08:39:40,841] se.kth.karamel.webservice.KaramelServiceApplication: Inalid yaml file; Cookbook-dependency ‘hopslog’ doesn’t refer to a valid url in Berksfile

Thank you for your help anyway, I’ll keep on trying, if I solve this problem, I will tell you the solution.

About the latest reply, please refer to: Does the karamel only support GitHub? - #2 by Freeman